"Meet the women brewing up the local beer scene"
"From owners to homebrewers, six ladies talk beer, business & the boys' club."
In this phillyvoice.com article by Aubrey Nagle, you can read about Home Sweet Homebrew's Nancy Rigberg, and five other influential women in Philadelphia brewing: Carol Stoudt, Rosemarie Certo, Christina Burris, Jamie Queli and Gina Vasoli
Sam Calagione calls Home Sweet Homebrew "legendary"
(Sam Calagione is founder of Dogfish Head.) Learn more on our What's Hoppening page.
- Sam Calagione calls George Hummel "an under-recognized outside of Philadelphia Philadelphia beer celebrity" in his #AskDogfish Episode 5 video, when asked "Who do you think over the last 20 years is the most influential in brewing in Philadelphia?" (if you're short on time, start at about 1:30 in the video).
New Hops and New Malts are in Stock
– some intriguing high alpha German varieties, as well as some new US and New Zealand types.
(We've also got a good stock on those high alpha US hops your IPAs love!)
Chateau Monastique is a Belgian toasted malt that imparts a dry bitterness and a deep color for your abbey ales, porters and Trappist style beers. Think ahead. Remember that so many of the Wyeast Belgian yeasts enjoy that warm weather ferment and will be beautifully conditioned by the cooler fall months.
- Last chance for Wyeast 2nd Quarter Private Selection: 3191 Berliner Weisse, 3538 Leuven, and 5151 Brett Claussenii. www.wyeastlab.com.
Last Chance for Hop Rhizomes!
$5 each. Available are cascade, centennial, chinook, columbus, golding, liberty, Mt. hood, northern brewer, nugget, sterling and willamette. Call or come in to check availability.
- Beginner's Pubkits and Intermediate Recipes!
You get all the pre-measured and easy to use ingredients to create 5 gallons of beer for only $39.95! Ramble on Rye, Onkel Fester and Brother Thomas and more!
Also, we've added White IPA and Belgian Chocolate Stout recipe packages to our list of partial grain/extract beer recipes. See our Beer Store page for the full list.
- George Hummel on WHYY's "The Pulse" in "How science saved beer"
George Hummel added his brewing knowledge to a segment entitled "How science saved beer". Learn a bit about bacteria and the beer industry.
- Take a moment to view this video conversation among George Hummel, Nancy Rigberg, and Dogfish Head's Sam Calagione (founder and President) as they reminisce about the old days of brewing in Philadelphia.
- Every few days we post a new special on Facebook
or Twitter, so visit us often.
- Order Beer Ingredient Packages online for yourself or as a gift on our Beer Store page, or come in and pick it up.
- Philly2Night Says "Give the Gift of Beer and Cheer!" from Home Sweet Homebrew!
They liked HSH's total brewing package and said "For anyone that's always wanted to try their hand at Brewing or Wine Making, HSH is the perfect place to start!" Read the full Philly2Night article "Give the Gift of Beer and Cheer!".
16 Mile Brewing's "HUMMEL" Beer Tank
It’s not a tankless job writing about beer - the guys at 16 Mile Brewing in Georgetown, DE appreciated George’s help formulating their Smoked Oyster Stout and named this tank (right) after him!
- George Hummel on WHYY: Keeping the craft beer flowing in Philadelphia
Listen to George on Philadelphia's WHYY radio station in an interview with NewsWorks Tonight's host, Dave Heller.
- Philadelphia ranked first for best pub crawl city and third for the best U.S. beer brewing city by AMOG.com. Come visit Home Sweet Homebrew to learn more about brewing and join the fun.
- Gift Certificates are perfect all year long. Beer brewing ingredients, brewing books, kits, etc. are great present ideas for birthdays, anniversaries, Mother's or Father's Day, ... or just because.. A HSH gift certificate says that you care about the recipient, and "please, may I have some of your homebrewed beer?". Easy to order at the bottom of every page.
- Expand Your Beer Horizons: Check out our latest catalog. See some of the many beer brewing and wine making ingredients that we can supply you.